Most people often considered Cloth diapers as a thing of the past, but if you see the advanced cloth diapers, you would know how much they have evolved in the past few years and you would gladly join the team of parents who are choosing cloth today and you would be glad to know the numbers are increasing at great pace.
Here are top five reasons why so many parents are considering cloth diapers for their babies and why you should too consider them-
- First and the foremost, reason is that cloth diapers are Super Easy on your Wallet. These are super economical when compared to disposable diapers on long run. So, stop throwing away your hard-earned money on disposables and save big with cloth. As cloth diapers are reusables, you can just maintain your reasonable stash and may reuse them for multiple children, and even more, you may resell them after you’re done. So in true sense ‘Value for money’.
- It is Super Safe for your baby: Cloth diapers lacks all those gels and harmful chemicals that most disposable diapers are filled with and can lead to diaper rashes. Since its cloth which is in direct contact with the baby’s soft skin, it is super safe for your baby.
- The most important point is that Cloth Diaper are Better for the environment. Every year millions of disposable diapers are ending up in landfills, and they will stay there for over 500 years until they degrade. By using cloth, you can help reduce landfill waste, protect our waterways, and save resources. A small way to protect our mother nature, isn’t it?
- Promotes potty training: Since the cloth diapers have layers of cotton which leaks after few hours. Unlike those dry feel absorbent chemical polymers, a cloth diapered child will be able to feel the wetness, and this would be an incentive to teach them about wetness and begin using the potty seat.
- Your baby will look Super adorable: The cuteness factor that a cloth will have, would get you hooked to it in no time. With all the cute designs and prints that cloth diapers come in, your baby will look stylish for any occasion. And how can one just ignore that cute bum…. Just wow 😊
What are Advanced Cloth Diapers?
Every advanced cloth diaper is usually made up of 3 parts
- A Waterproof Outer – This provides the leak-proofing and have multiple snaps which help in adjusting the size and attach the soaker.
- Soaker or the Insert – These are the absorbent pads which multiple layers of cloth/micrifibres that do the job of soaking the pee. There are multiple types of material available in inserts, like- Microfibre, Organic cotton, hemp or any combination of these as well.
- Dry-Feel Fabric – These inner layer (which is in direct contact with the Baby’s skin) which provide the essential dry-feel to the babies.
What are the Type of Advanced Cloth Diapers
There are a few types of diapers available in the market today which can be picked depending upon the pattern / functionality of the diaper.
A. Cover Diapers
The dry-feel layer in this diaper is attached ON the soaker. This soaker is placed inside the cover. This is a pad-and-pant system. In this, you can change soaker and reuse the outer. This makes it an economical diapering choice. One pad lasts 3-4 hours. This is a good and economical option for day-time diapering. Since each time a fresh pad comes in contact with your baby’s skin it is also good for baby’s skin
B. Pocket Diapers
As the name suggests, they have a pocket where the soaker is inserted. You may also insert multiple soakers inside the pocket. They aren’t as economical as Cover Diapers as once the soaker is full or soiled, you would have to change the entire diaper.
C. All in One DiaperS
These are as easy as disposable diapers as everything is attached with the diaper. This diaper comes along with 2 super thirsty organic bamboo cotton soakers. One of the tongue shaped soaker is attached while the other is detachable. Both the soakers together can last 7-8+ hours. This is therefore excellent for heavy wetting babies or for night-time cloth diapering. The one we currently love is Super bottoms Plus AIO (heavy absorbency)Cloth Diaper. Once prepped I.e washed for about 8-10 times, they hold up the entire night.
I have been cloth diapering my 1.5 year old since he was around 6 months old. I also had a lot of apprehensions regarding cleaning and washing them, and was in two-minds. All thanks to the bad monsoon here in Mumbai, to give me the must required push and gets my hands on my First Cloth diaper from amazon.in, there was no looking back since then, the ease and comfort I got in day diapering that I started night diapering in Cloth Diapers as well. This last one year had been an amazing cloth diapering journey for me, if you are still thinking, you should just go and read my cloth diaper journey once.
Until then, take care