Baby wearing is not a new concept. For years mothers have been wrapping baby in their sarees/dupattas or a long piece of sturdy cloth as a baby carrier.
This is now enhanced to meet the need of the current lifestyle, with added buckles and belts for both comfort and convenience. There are different types of wraps, sling and carriers available in the market today, which very well meet the needs, preferences and off course the budget of the family.
In fact some of them are such beautiful works of fashion, that any new mom would love to wear them and carry their baby with love, and on the other hand there are gender-neutral carriers for Dad, too, so that they can flaunt their “cool dad” image and be a part of raising a happy baby and a happy family.
So here’s a small quick guide to ensure what to keep in mind while buying a baby carrier-
- Ergonomic Structure– A good baby carrier must always mimics the way you would normally and naturally hold your baby— i.e either cradled in your arms, straddling by your hip, or backed.
So always go for Ergonomically baby carrier only as they hold baby in the natural baby holding position which is both safe for baby and the parent.
- Fabric- The first thing you should put in consideration should be how the materials of the carrier was manufactured and what all is used and the quality. Always try to keep in mind the weather conditions for choosing the off course the quality of the fabric, as you would be keeping your baby close to it and you would not appreciate the baby chewing or licking a toxic or chemically dyes fabrics.
So choosing a carrier with natural/handwoven light weight but sturdy fabric keeping it safe even if baby chew it a bit and keeping the skin allergies at bay .
- Leg Position and Back support –The legs of the baby should be at least pulled up to a 90 degree angle and should always be supported behind the leg. It should form a “M” position and would be possible when you baby has an enough wide seating space. Also the back of the carrier needs to provide a proper support to your the baby’s neck and back, keeping him in the upright position when awake and enough support when your baby is asleep his/her body is tightly secured to your body.
So make a good seat in slings and wraps and for soft structures carriers opt for the one with wide and comfortable seat for your little one.
- Headrest for young babies- The back of the carrier needs to reach over the baby’s head, on all three sides, to keep the head from falling backwards or sideways. This is very important to check for in a carrier if you have a younger baby yet to learn to support his head. Also as the child would grow this would help when he naps.
- Growth- Your baby would grow fast,and may easily outgrow you carrier. Choose the one that will also grow with your child. Baby carriers is an investment you make so look for something which keeps it cost effective by growing with the baby.
- Positions- Only choose a baby carrier that allows different carrying positions like facing out, facing in, back carry, hip carry etc. As you may want to try different positions which may be comfortable to you as well your child. You would prefer to wear the new born and young one facing you in front carry always, whereas a toddler may love a back carry, or front facing outwards or even a hip carry.
You may also want to read: Why I chose to wear my toddler
I personally love Annona because of its extremely innovative desigm, lovely prints and the fact that it is made by experts keeping in mind the tiniest possible detail. ‘Anoona’ (meaning ‘one without flaws’ in Kannada) is recommended for children from birth to toddlerhood.
When you go shopping after like ages and have dozens of thing in the list, this is how we manage. Babywearing not only helps you with free hands but also keep the baby happy. Can you see how #LittleTuggu is busy happily exploring the beautiful decorations around. . I am wearing #LittleTuggu in this gorgeous "Heal" Anoona by SoulSlings which we proudly hosted under the travelling carrier program and loved it. The pretty colour, the gradients, the fabric and most important the comfortable seat for the baby was awesome. . Do you wanna try a carrier before you buy ? Join Soul Family facebook page to know more. . . Where are you going to wear your baby today? . . On that note, I have written a blog post some time back on why I wear my toddler.. do give it a read if you are still in doubts to wear your toddler. Clickable link in bio @tuggu.n.mommy Permanent link https://wp.me/p9a7YT-8Y . . . . @SoulSlings @SoulSlings_india #Soulslings #Soulslingsindia #SummerWithSoul #tcp #babywearingwithsoul #babycarriers #AnoonA #SoulMate #soulmate_tnm #wrapyourbaby #wrapinlove #babywearingmama #babywearingforthewin #toddlerwearing #carrythem #Momblogger #Mumbaimomblogger #TuggunMommy #mayypost23
So you just buy a single carrier and do the adjustments to match with your growing baby. It has Completely adjustable panel; crossable shoulder straps with sturdy buckles the Panel base width is adjustable from 7” to 15”, Panel height is adjustable from 11” to 16”, Body panel width is adjustable from 6.5” to 14.5”
The Weight recommendation for AoonnA is for 3.2-20 kg (7-44 lb) approx. and this carrier offers 5 carry options – newborn, front, front facing out, hip and back carries.
Its fully adjustable panel cinches at the shoulder, mid-panel and waistband to ensure perfect support to the child at all times. The foldable neck support at the top of the panel is ideal for newborns. Offering the option of crossed (‘X’) or straight (‘H’) shoulder straps, Anoona fits adults from petite to plus-sizes. Buckled shoulder straps also allow users to use this carrier for a hip carry. Little details like a small pocket on the waistband for your essentials and a removable hood ensure that both you and your baby can step out in comfort!
It is available in gorgeous colours in cotton, Jacquard Cotton, Handwoven Cotton, ikkat cotton and Linen. You may look out for lovely colours and patterns available here.
Thanks for reading! Hope you find this review useful and go ahead and wear your baby you will never regret it! More about the fabric choices in next post.
PS: Do leave in comments if you have any questions or suggestions if any. I would be more than happy to answer them.